Experienced Apparel & Accessories Designer
Knox is looking for a dynamic and experienced individual to join the company and be based in their London studio.
Knox is based between their head office in the Lake District and their East-London design studio. This role is based in the London design studio.
This role will suit a hands-on multi-disciplined designer, who is very experienced at bringing full collections together and feels confident in making decisions.
Job Title: Apparel and Accessories Designer
Field: Product Development
Location: East-London, United Kingdom.
Permanent part-time role: 30-35 hrs per week depending on workload.
Salary is dependant on experience and is pro- rata.
The role will involve but is not exclusive to:
- Working with the Head of Design, you will be responsible for designing new collections. This is from research, the entire product development, through to production and presentation to market.
- Working closely with the Director, Head of Design and Garment Technologist to ensure all products reach all design and safety standards and reach production on time and in perfect order.
- You must be a technical multi-disciplined designer who has the ability and enthusiasm to work across menswear, womenswear and accessories across many different product categories, from denim, to outerwear and gloves.
- Use resourceful and creative research methods to establish new moods and direction for each years collection.
- Creating in depth drawings for new products and working closely with the Garment Technologist to create all new Technical Files.
- Ensuring all continuing products are updated as necessary alongside new developments.
- You must have excellent fabric knowledge to enable you to source new fabrics/trims and establish their suitability quickly alongside new and exclusive fabric developments.
- Experience working with testing and ability to learn any new areas quickly, as creating technically sound and CE approved products is vital for most products we produce.
- Good presentation skills and the ability to apply critique well to designs. Must be able to prepare design meetings well.
- Work closely with the Garment Technologist on the sampling and fitting process to ensure everything is received on time, that everything looks as it should, make any design amends and ensure the fit is correct.
- Working closely with our suppliers on all product development and production to ensure everything is delivered on time.
- Must have good construction knowledge to ensure designs are not just “good on paper” but actually work and can be well produced.
- Must be proficient in all design programs, especially Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.
- Keeping an organized archive of all sample development, fabrics, trims and accessories.
- Willingness to travel to our Head Office and on other business trips as and when required.
The Candidate should have/be:
- A minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in similar roles.
- Degree in Design or other relevant qualifications.
- Excellent technical knowledge, a good understanding of garment manufacture and of all duties listed above.
- Must take a proactive role in mastering any new skills required to complete the job.
- The candidate must be organised, self-motivated, have good attention to detail, a flexible attitude and a strong work ethic.
- You will be working in a small team so being a self-starter, being comfortable taking the lead and taking initiative is crucial.
- Excellent literacy and strong communication skills.
- Essential Adobe Illustrator and InDesign skills along with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- A love of technical product is a must and specifically motorbikes/bikes/sportswear would be desirable.